Having a hard time deciding if you should integrate self myofascial release into your lfe? Here are 10 reasons why you should start the new year with SMR!
1. Increase blood flow and reduce inflammation
2. Improve muscular range of motion
3. Reduce muscle soreness
4. Promote quicker recovery
5. Increased HRV (heart rate variability) which indicates dominance of the parasympathetic nervous system. The side of the nervous system that promotes recovery, relaxation, sleep and digestion.
6. Get mentally prepared to move and perform
7. Promote arterial stiffness which is conducive to cardiovascular well-being
8. Connect to your body and de-stress
9. Decreasing adhesions - assisting the different layers of fascia to glide over one another more easily (as in the review by Tozzi, 2012). Hedley (2010) defined a pathological adhesion as “a fixed connection between tissues which would normally slide relative to each other.” Some researchers have presented evidence in favor of the direct effects of manual therapy techniques on adhesion's, albeit in the context of abdominal massage rather than myofascial release.
10. Descending inhibition - pain relief is induced is through descending modulation from our brain. Numerous neurotransmitters, including serotonin, vasopressin, oxytocin, adenosine, endocannabinoids, and endogenous opioids have been shown to act to turn down the volume or completely eliminate pain output. Think of this is your own internal drug cabinet in your brain.